Women’s Water Polo | March 11, 2022
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania— The La Salle women’s water polo team returns to Kirk Pool this weekend for the La Salle Invitational, where they will face off against opponents Mercyhurst, Gannon and Salem.
The Explorers face the Lakers first on Saturday, March 12 at 9 a.m. before meeting Salem later in the afternoon at 3 p.m. La Salle will face Gannon at 10am on March 13 before they meet Mercyhurst a second time at 1pm. The team will honor its four seniors ahead of Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Lakers. All four competitions will be streamed on YouTube Live.
INFORMATION FROM THE DISCOVERERS:
- La Salle starts the weekend after one away game in five games in California. The Explorers are currently 9-7 overall and are in a hot six game stretch.
- Kalista Hyham continued to be an offensive force for the Explorers. Hyham had 20 goals, three assists and 23 points over the weekend to earn the MAAC Offensive Player of the Week title. She is currently averaging three goals per game and has a 56.3% shot rate.
- Emma Gurasich received MAAC’s Defensive Player of the Week award after her outstanding performance in California. The junior made a total of 45 saves and 13 steals across the five competitions. She currently has a .496 save rate on the season.
- As a team, the Explorers average 11.8 goals and 9.6 steals per game. La Salle has gone 41-17 in sprints this season.
RECOGNIZING THE LAKERS:
- Entering the contest 2-8, Mercyhurst come to Philadelphia after losing their last four games in a row. The Lakers are currently 1-2 when visiting their opponent.
- Sakura Gavin leads the team’s offensive performance with 16 points, 10 goals and six assists this season.
- Ava Gebhardt and Sara Marin have also had double-digit scoring tally this season, with 10 goals each.
- Marley Ramon has protected the net for 216 minutes this season. She made 129 saves in eight games.
RECOGNIZE THE TIGERS:
- Salem enters the contest 6-13 overall after losing his last contest to Michigan 6-4. Four of the Tigers have recorded six wins in their last seven games.
- Annefleur Tan Bloemendal leads the offensive for Salem with 72 points, 52 goals and 20 assists in 20 games.
- Seven other Tigers have scored double figures this season: Erin Zappia, Margherita Garibbo, Chloe Woodbine, Heather Lock, Courtney O’Saughness, Taeghen Hack and Madisyn Nye.
- Phillippe Piper is 7-13 in goal this season and has made a total of 224 saves for a .463 percentage.
STATEMENT OF THE GOLDEN KNIGHTS:
- Gannon enters the competition with a 5-5 aggregate score after recently coming off a three-game winning streak.
- The Golden Knights kept all three opponents in single digits and scored at least 17 goals in each competition.
- The 20-8 win over Washington and Jefferson marked the team’s biggest lead of the season and the team’s first 20-goal game.
- Gannon has been on a two-week break since the last game. The team is 1-0 when visiting their opponent and 4-5 when playing in a neutral environment.