ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Boston University women’s lacrosse team lost 16-6 to No. 24 Navy Saturday night at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.
The Terriers held the Mids by a goal in the third quarter but were held by a goal in the second and third periods.
Junior Lauren Kaye scored two points with one goal and one assist as a sophomore Kendall Sims and Toby Tick as well as newbie Matty Spaeth also found the back of the network. Second goalkeeper Reilly Agres returned to make nine saves.
Reagan Roelofs had a game-high five goals and seven points, while Leelee Denton added three goals and an assist. Jo Torres stopped six shots between the tubes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first two and a half minutes of the game, Barry shrugged off her defender and got a pass from Kaye at the left post to score the game’s first goal.
- Navy responded with three consecutive goals, but in the sophomore year Ellen Monahan waited for Kaye to cut the middle to make it a one-goal game with 3:36 left in the first.
- The Mids scored seven unanswered goals in the next 16:50 to take a 10-2 lead.
- Spaeth rushed down on the 12-metre fan from above and punched Torres near the right post to reduce the deficit to seven at the 1:46 mark of the second.
- Both teams scored just one goal each in the third quarter. Gil Eby scored 46 seconds into the quarter while Sims dodged two mids defenders to make it 11-4 with 10:51 to go in the stanza.
- Agres made two close-range saves from Roelofs mid-half, including a kick stop.
- Barry converted from open position to open the fourth quarter with 11:44 remaining, reducing the Terrier deficit to six.
- Roelofs scored on Navy’s subsequent possession, but Tick snagged a ground ball after Kaye’s shot to make it 12-6 with 9-40 left.
- The Mids went on to score the last four goals of the game.
- BU finished 19-to-22 on clear tries compared to Navy’s 15-to-17.
- Sims also finished with four ground balls and three turnovers made.
- graduate student Maggie Lohrer also caused three turnovers and chipped three groundballs.
- With 20 points this season, Barry has set a personal best in points in a year.
- Späth’s goal streak increased to nine games.
- Kaye, who leads the team with 27 points, has eight multi-point games in 2022.
- Navy improves to an all-time 7-2 in the series.
- BU returns to Nickerson Field for a matchup against Lehigh on Saturday (April 16). The opening draw is scheduled for 12 p.m