Monday February 7th
Hofstrasse 73, UNCW 71 *
Drexel 72, James Madison 66 *
Thursday February 10th
Elon 70, James Madison 66 *
Hofstrasse 83, Drexel 73 *
Delaware 74, Northeast 61 *
Towson 75, William & Mary 60 *
Saturday February 12th
UNCW 85, Charleston 79 *
Hofstra 80, Delaware 66 *
James Madison 69, William & Mary 55 *
Drexel 67, Northeast 51 *
Towson 86, Elon 50 *
Monday February 14th
William & Mary at UNCW* (FloHoops)……………………….. 2 p.m
Drexel in Charleston * (FloHoops) ………………………………. 7 p.m
James Madison in Delaware * (FloHoops) …………………… 7 p.m
Tuesday February 15th
Hofstra at Elon * (FloHoops)……………………………………. .. 19 o’clock
Thursday February 17th
Towson at UNCW* (CBSSN)……………………………………. .. 6 p.m
Drexel at William & Mary* (FloHoops)……………………….. 7pm
James Madison in Charleston * (FloHoops)……………….. 7 p.m
Delaware at Elon* (FloHoops) …………………………………… 19 Clock
Saturday February 19th
Northeastern at Hofstra * (FloHoops) …………………… 2:00 p.m
Delaware at William & Mary* (YurView/FloHoops)…….4 p.m
Towson at Charleston * (FloHoops)………………………….. 4 p.m
Drexel at Elon* (FloHoops)……………………………………. .. .. 4 p.m
James Madison at UNCW* (FloHoops)……………………….. 7 p.m
WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aaron Estrada, Hofstr
Jr. | guard | Woodbury, NJ / St. Benedict
Estrada wins his fifth league award and second consecutive selection after three other outstanding performances at Hofstra wins. The New Jersey guard averaged 25.3 points per game on 55% from the field and 60% (12 of 20) from three while adding 6.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.3 steals per game. Estrada scored 23 points in a two-point win over first place seed UNCW, threw in 32 in a win at Drexel, and scored 21 in a win at Drexel. He has scored 20 or more points in 11 of 13 CAA games.
ROOKE OF THE WEEK
Jyare Davis, Delaware
newbie | Forward | Newark, Delaware / Sanford
Davis earned his third straight Rookie of the Week honor with 14.0 points per game on 63% shooting and 4.0 rebounds per game. The Newark forward scored 12 points on 6-of-9 from the field and added five rebounds, two assists and two blocks in Thursday’s win against Northeastern before posting a team-high 16 points in Saturday’s duel with Hofstra. Davis has averaged 15.5 points per game in his last four competitions, with 12 or more in all.
NEWS AND NOTES
UNCW leads the CAA 11-2 after opening conference play with nine straight wins. The Seahawks were ranked ninth in the CAA preseason poll — the same spot was occupied by 2021 regular-season champion James Madison last October.
UNCW is the first team with 11 wins in their first 13 CAA games since Hofstra 2018-19.
YEAR OF THE TIGER?
Towson has climbed 214 spots in KenPom since the end of the 2020-21 season, going from 298 to 84 on Monday. The last CAA team to end the year higher than the Tigers’ current KenPom position was the UNCW team 2016-17, which ended the year at number 59. Towson has peaked at No. 62 on the NET this season (a CAA record) and leads the state of Maryland in the NCAA metric.
Towson’s 19 wins this season lead the CAA, and the 19-7 start is the Tigers’ best in 26 games in the program’s Division I history.
Hofstra’s Aaron Estrada has risen to the ranks of CAA top scorer on a remarkable attacking streak. Estrada has scored 20 or more points in 11 of 13 conference games, highlighted by 30-point tries in wins over Delaware, Charleston, James Madison and Drexel. The New Jersey guard leads the CAA with 24.4 points per game in conference contests and leads the conference with five Player of the Week honors.
Hofstra’s current four-game winning streak is the best in the conference, and Pride’s 17 overall wins rank UNCW second among CAA teams.
WELCOME TO CAA!
The CAA announced new signings Hampton, Monmouth and Stony Brook as full members of the league for the 2022-23 season. The Pirates come from the Great South, the Hawks from the MAAC, and the Seawolves from the American East. All three played at least one CAA team in that year’s non-conference schedule.
HOW FEAR? YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE
Conference game in CAA has seen impressive speed of the ball going through the basket. Some of the categories in which the CAA ranks in the top 10 out of the 32 conferences in league games:
• Two-Point FG%: 2nd (52.3)
• Three-Point FG%: 9th (34.9)
• Free Throw %: 6th (73.7)
• Effective FG%: 3rd (52.3)
• KenPom Efficiency: 4th (105.3)
Elon’s Hunter McIntosh scored 1,000 points for his Phoenix career on Thursday, becoming the seventh active CAA player to score 1,000 or more points in a conference member’s uniform.
1. 1.723 Ryan Allen, Delaware
2. 1.660 Jalen Ray, Hofstr
3. 1,560 Camren Wynter, Drexel
4. 1,266 Kevin Anderson, Delaware
5. 1.202 James Butler, Drexel
6. 1.128 Jaylen Sims, UNCW
7. 1.025 Hunter McIntosh, Elon
NOTHING BUT NET
Towson leads CAA teams in the NET rankings with 80 while Hofstra is second with 104. Charleston holds a Quad 1 win with a win in Chattanooga and Hofstra added one in Arkansas.
Hofstra has played a total of seven games against Q1 and Q2 with victories in Arkansas and Monmouth, while Charleston and Elon faced six. Elon (24) and Hofstra (42) played two of the toughest non-conference dates in the nation this winter, according to the NET rankings.
Charleston (13-10, 5-6)
• Dimitrius Underwood is 14th nationally with 2.30 steals per game… Underwood’s 2.5 steals per game leads CAA players in conference games.
• Reyne Smith is 27-to-27 from the free throw line in CAA play and 55-to-58 on the season.
• Charleston ranks eighth nationally with 41.00 rebounds per game.
• The Cougars won home-and-home with Tulane that season and clinched a NET Quad 1 win over Chattanooga.
Delaware (16-9, 7-5)
• Delaware ranks 30th nationwide with 54.4 effective field goals, while the Blue Hens rank 20th with 55.2% in two-point games against D1 opponents.
• Ryan Allen has risen to eighth in CAA history with 293 three-pointers with American alum Nathan Smith and current Hofstra guard Jalen Ray… Allen is two behind George Mason’s Lamar Butler in seventh.
• Ebby Asamoah leads the CAA with 51.5% from three-pointers in conference games.
• Ryan Allen’s 35-point shot in a win against La Salle ties for the season’s top-scoring performance by a CAA player.
Drexels (12-11, 7-6)
• James Butler is 22 rebounds away from being the 11th player to record 1,000 in a career with the CAA… Five have achieved the feat in the past decade, including Drexel’s Samme Givens in 2011- 12.
• Butler ranks seventh nationally for defensive rebounds with 31.2%.
• Camren Wynter is eighth in CAA history with 552 career assists, three fewer than Old Dominion’s Drew Williamson (2004-07).
• Amari Williams’ 33 blocks in the CAA game is eight more than the next highest total.
Elon (8-18, 5-8)
• Elon shot a season-best 59.6% to give UNCW its first loss in the CAA game on February 3.
• The Phoenix made 45.1% of field goal attempts from outside the three-point line.
• Michael Graham is second in the CAA for field goal percentage (68.4%) and total blocks (25) in conference play.
• Elon played seven high-major opponents and four quad-1 teams in his non-conference schedule.
Hofstrasse (17-9, 9-4)
• Jalen Ray has risen to eighth in CAA history with 293 three-pointers with American alum Nathan Smith and current Delaware guard Ryan Allen… Ray is two behind George Mason’s Lamar Butler in seventh.
• Aaron Estrada has 20+ points 11 times in CAA games… Estrada leads the CAA with 24.4 points per game against league opponents.
• The Pride currently has the CAA’s longest winning streak at four games.
• Hofstra has a Quad 1 win against Arkansas and a Quad 2 win at Monmouth… The Pride put Houston into overtime and played a one-possession game in Maryland.
James Madison (14-10, 5-8)
• Vado Morse is second in the CAA on 20.4 points per game against league rivals and leads the conference with 45 three-pointers made in those games.
• Justin Amadi ranks 14th nationally with 65.8 effective field goals, while his 68.3% in two-point games against D1 opponents ranks him 23rd.
• JMU ranks 19th in the nation with 9.2 steals per game.
• The Dukes’ 135 points against Carlow was the most by a CAA team since George Mason in 1995…James Madison’s 55 field goals and 39 assists were records for a CAA team.
UNCW (17-7, 11-2)
• UNCW is the first CAA team to go 11-2 or better in 13 conference games since Hofstra went 12-1 in 2018/19.
• James Baker Jr. leads the CAA in conference games with 68.8% of field goals.
• UNCW’s 12-game winning streak from Dec. 11-Jan. 31 was the longest in program history, surpassing an 11-game streak by the Seahawks in 2015-16.
• Jaylen Sims’ triple win to win at James Madison was the No. 1 at SportsCenter.
Northeast (7-18, 1-13)
• Chris Doherty leads the league with 9.2 rebounds per game this season… Doherty is second in the CAA with seven double-doubles.
• Doherty is sixth nationally in offensive rebounds per game (3.62) and 17th in offensive rebounds per game (15.7).
• The Huskies hold two of the CAA’s seven wins this winter against the A10… The CAA is 7-4 as a conference against the A10.
• Northeastern closed a 20-point deficit to defeat Colgate.
Towson (19-7, 10-3)
• Towson is 214 places above his final 2020-21 ranking in KenPom, climbing from 298 to 84.
• The Tigers’ 86-50 win on Saturday was the program’s biggest win against a Division I opponent since a 122-58 win over Buffalo on March 7, 1992.
• Jason Gibson equaled Towson’s single-game record with two eight three-pointers this season (Coppin State, Hofstra).
• Cam Holden is the first Division I player with 20 points, 19 rebounds and eight assists in a game since Cleveland State’s Norris Cole in 2011.
William & Mary (5-21, 4-9)
• Brandon Carroll has 32 blocks in 23 games this season.
• Julian Lewis and Langdon Hatton earned the Tribe two of the first four CAA Rookie of the Week awards for conference games.
• W&M graduate and former CAA Player of the Year Nathan Knight made his first NBA start for Minnesota against Boston, posting a career-high 20 points and 11 rebounds.
• Tyler Rice’s nine assists in the Wake Forest opener were the most by a CAA rookie in the past two seasons.